Monday, April 25, 2011

Marathon Running Advice

As the date of my second marathon nears I seem to be having trouble getting running off my mind. So I would like to share with you everything I know thus far about running marathons, proper nutrition, and having the right gear.

Nutrition: According to experts it is important to intake food every 45 minutes of physical activity. Energy Gels work great as fact acting energy that your body needs. GU, Cliff, and Accel are some of my favorite tasting brands. As well you want to make sure that you are keeping your body hydrated. On runs longer than 8 miles I would recommend that you hydrate with an electrolyte powder mix. The more that your body sweats it loses potassium and electrolytes, and  sodium. Its just as important to replenish these as it is important to consume energy gels. There are many different brands and different kinds of things to eat other than gels that will give you the same amount of energy that your body needs. It comes down to a personal preference thing and what works best for your body.

Gear: Shoes are the most important thing when you are running long distances. You want to make sure that you are wearing the right kind of shoes specific to your foot type's needs. Every one needs a different kind of support and cushion so make sure that you visit your local running store to find yourself the right pair. Someone who works there should be knowledgeable enough to help you find what you need. When running you want to make sure that you are staying away from wearing anything cotton. Cotton will just get weighed down and absorb sweat and lead to chafing. You want to make sure that you are wearing a synthetic material type shirt or shirts. Find a local running store and see what they have as far as their selection of clothes. When running long distances you will need to bring hydration along with you. There are many different options as far as how to carry water. Belts with water bottles that are a popular choice however I personally feel more comfortable with a camel back.

Marathon Schedule: Finally we come down to training for a marathon. There are lots of different training schedules out there and not all work for everyone. Finding the schedule that best suits your schedule and your body' s needs is key. Here I have taken a picture of a training schedule in which a very well known running store uses in their marathon training groups.
Of course this is all just a brief summary of what it takes to be prepared to run a marathon. There are many other things i can elaborate on but I think I would be here all day. Try and find a running group with other individuals who enjoy running as well. They may be able to share other tips and tricks with you.

Last advise I have to share with you is to stay motivated and never attempt to run a marathon without being prepared. An injury is never worth the effort. Listen to your body and stick to a schedule.

Happy running!

28 comments:

  1. Great tips, you should be more that prepared. :D
    Nice post and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good info, forwarding to my cousin,she runs marathons. + 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. my legs hate me so i hate marathons

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother ran a marathon once, he enjoyed it. Maybe I'll give it a shot in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate running, swimming is where it's at :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow interesting advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the advice. it is motivational.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've ran several marathons myself and I have to say everything your wrote is true. The most important thing is having the right shoes and practicing (a lot).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good post!
    Followed & Supported <3
    Check out my Blog datdamnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post, my dad just ran Boston at age 60. XD
    I might be able to get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your workout schedule. However I am not running a marathon but would like to run more. so i'll use it, prolly just half it or something

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think running a marathon would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to run track back in high school

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd like to think I keep fit, but there's no way i can be this dedicated... I've got a few lessons to learn from you. =) Following!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips, nice blog... will be following...

    ReplyDelete
  17. keep it up, hope to see more about your training

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! I'm doing a 10k run in August, a half marathon in October and I hope to do a marathon next year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting, im not looking to go as far as a marathon, but may try part of it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting post, good luck with your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete